OMAC is committed to helping military-affiliated students receive the best-suited benefit for your educational needs. An in-depth analysis of your military status and benefits can be examined by the Office for Military-Affiliated Communities. The University is a partner of the Yellow Ribbon Program and the Department of Defenses' Memorandum of Understanding for tuition assistance.
Below you will find some links to military-affiliated benefits for staff, faculty and students.
- Tuition Assistance and Academic Information - Service members must speak with their Educational Services Officer (ESO) or counselor within their Military Service prior to enrolling into the institution. Military.com has provided an overviiew of the benefits and process here. Please contact OMAC for a full list of programs approved under the tuition assistance program.
- Leave of Absence
- Veterans Educational Benefits
- Yellow Ribbon Participation by Division
- College Aid
- Student Loan Administration (Graduate Divisions)
- Booth Financial Aid
- Law School Financial Aid
- Pritzker Medical School Financial Aid
The Yellow Ribbon GI Education Enhancement Program (Yellow Ribbon Program) is a provision of the Post-9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2008. This program allows institutions of higher learning (degree granting institutions) in the United States to voluntarily enter into an agreement with VA to fund tuition expenses that exceed either the annual maximum cap for private institutions or the resident tuition and fees for a public institution. The institution can contribute up to 50% of those expenses and VA will match the same amount as the institution.
The Institution of Higher Learning (IHL) must agree to:
- Provide contributions to eligible individuals who apply for the Yellow Ribbon Program on a first-come first-served basis, regardless of the rate at which the individual is pursuing training in any given academic year;
- Provide contributions during the current academic year and all subsequent academic years in which the IHL is participating in the Yellow Ribbon Program and the student maintains satisfactory progress, conduct, and attendance;
- Make contributions toward the program on behalf of the individual in the form of a grant, scholarship, etc;
- State the dollar amount that will be contributed for each participant during the academic year;
- State the maximum number of individuals for whom contributions will be made in any given academic year.
For a list of FAQ's concerning the Yellow Ribbon, please click here.
JoAnn Creviston, VA School Certifying Official
Office of the University Registrar
1427 East 60th Street
Chicago, IL 60637
Below are examples for students using GI Bill benefits. The rates by the VA and tuition and fees can change yearly, so always be sure to check rates. Also, this is just an example and not all fees associated with UChicago may be applicable to you. Please consult the financial aid office at your respective division for questions.