Financial & Academic Support

The University of Chicago strives to be an institution of high integrity and is committed to ensuring that recruitment and enrollment activities conducted at the University promote such an environment. The University has policies to ensure compliance with federal laws and regulation in order to prevent and eliminate fraudulent and aggressive recruitment of students (including but not limited to students using Veterans Affairs (VA) and Department of Defense (DoD) education benefits) to the University.

OMAC is committed to supporting military-affiliated persons receive the best-suited benefit for your educational needs. An in-depth analysis of your military status and benefits can be examined by the Office for Military-Affiliated Communities. The University is a partner of the Veterans Affairs ®Gi Bill and Yellow Ribbon Program, and the Department of Defense Tuition Assistance Program. 

Below you will find some links to resources for staff, faculty and students.

Financial Aid

Students utilizing VA or DoD benefits can still apply for financial aid through the U.S. Department of Education's Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). If you have questions about eligibility and how to apply, please contact the appropriate financial aid department for your school unit below:

  • College Aid
  • Graduate Financial Aid
  • Cohort Default Rate (A cohort default rate is the percentage of a school's borrowers who enter repayment on certain Federal Family Education Loan (FFEL) Program or William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan (Direct Loan) Program loans during a particular federal fiscal year (FY), October 1st to September 30th, and default or meet other specified conditions prior to the end of the second following fiscal year. Please refer to the Cohort Default Rate Guide for a more in-depth description of cohort default rates and how the rates are calculated). In the event tthat the institution's CDR rises above the national average, this site will be updated to reflect such a change. 
    • You can search the University of Chicago's CDR by clicking here and entering our OPEID number 001774
    • Click here to learn more about the national average CDR

Academic Catalogs and Announcements

Students can find information pertaining to general degree requirements, including but not limited to, number of hours needed and types of degrees earned in the catalogs. Below are the links to the University’s academic programs and announcements.  

College Catalog and Graduate Announcements

University Catalog and Departmental Pages

Academic & Career Advising

The University of Chicago also provides potential students with assistance in selecting a major, career opportunities, and navigating college life. To speak with an academic advisor about your education path, please contact the appropriate advising department for your school unit below:

Transfer Credit Policies

Units without a link to a transfer credit policy or indication of "no transfer" credit should be contacted, or UChicagoGRAD for further information. You can view the full listing of programs offered by the University (undergraduate and graduate) and course catalogs by clicking here.


Since 1913, the University of Chicago has been continuously accredited by the Higher Learning Commission, 230 S. LaSalle St., Suite 7-500, Chicago, IL 60604; 800.621.7440. Additional information regarding accreditation, approval, or licensure of the University is available upon request from Ingrid Gould, Associate Provost, 773.702.8846,

In addition to the University’s accreditation, various academic programs receive specialized accreditations. Information regarding accreditation, approval, or licensure from individual academic programs is available upon request as follows:

You can verify the University's accreditation and specialized accreditation status' by clicking here.

The Yellow Ribbon GI Education Enhancement Program (Yellow Ribbon Program) is a provision of the Post-9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2008. This program allows institutions of higher learning (degree granting institutions) in the United States to voluntarily enter into an agreement with VA to fund tuition expenses that exceed either the annual maximum cap for private institutions or the resident tuition and fees for a public institution. The institution can contribute up to 50% of those expenses and VA will match the same amount as the institution.

The University contributes an "unlimited" number of awards and amounts towards the Yellow Ribbon Program across all academic units

For a list of FAQ's concerning the Yellow Ribbon, please click here

Veterans Affairs related documents and questions should be submitted to one of the VA School Certifying Officials by clicking here.

The Chamber of Commerce also provides an updated guide relatiing to VA benefits here

Tuition Assistance (TA) funds are a source of financial aid for active duty, reserve and guard members. 

Steps to Using Military TA

  • Please speak with your Educational Services Officer (ESO) or counselor within your military service prior to enrolling into the institution. 
  • We recommend you start this process at least 6 weeks prior to your course start date.
  • Apply for admission to our university and print your degree plan (degree plan can also be acquired from your academic advisor).
  • Register for courses; all branches require registration prior to approval.
  • Choose Military TA as your payment method.
  • Meet with your Education Services Officer (ESO) for a briefing on TA.
  • Request required TA forms through your branch education portal for each course with a unique start date.
  • Army students will need to use the ArmyIgnitED portal to request TA. You will apply for tuition assistance through the portal and it will be sent electronically to UChicago for processing.
  • Air Force students will utilize an online system for requesting Air Force tuition assistance through the Air Force Virtual Education Center. You will apply for tuition assistance through the portal and it will be sent electronically to APUS for processing.
  • Navy, Marine Corps., and Coast Guard Students will submit an application through the Navy College Office's Virtual WebTA portal.
    • Please review these helpful steps to assist with the Navy College Office's Tuition Assistance approvals.
    • You may send a copy of your Tuition Assistance Authorization to the bursar and OMAC by clicking here.
    • Disclose all sources of aid: Contact the financial aid office if you plan to use multiple sources of aid, such as FSA or other scholarships.
  • Please note, your approved Military TA request must be received and processed at least five days prior to the start of your course.

A full list of TA approved programs and tuition can be found here. 

Please note that TA may only cover a portion of your cost and you are responsible for any costs not covered under TA. Please consult with your ESO and the Office for Military-Affiliated Communities if you have any questions.

Return of TA Funds

The Institution will return any unearned tuition assistance (TA) funds on a proportional basis through at least the 60 percent portion of the period for which the funds were provided. TA funds are earned proportionally during an enrollment period, with unearned funds returned based upon when a student stops attending.In instances when a Service member stops attending due to a military service obligation, the educational institution will work with the affected Service member to identify solutions that will not result in student debt for the returned portion.

10-week Course Withdraw submitted, the 60% of course completed at 6 weeks
100% end of the first week of the quarter
65% end of the third week of the quarter
50% end of the fourth week of the quarter
30% end of the fifth week of the quarter
20% end of the sixth week of the quarter
no return after 6 weeks

Veterans Affairs Pending Payment Compliance

Beginning August 1, 2019, and despite any policy to the contrary, the University of Chicago will not take any of the four following actions toward any student using U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) Post 9/11 G.I. Bill® (Ch. 33)1 or Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (Ch. 31) benefits, while their payment from the United States Department of Veterans Affairs is pending to the educational institution:

Prevent their enrollment; 

Assess a late penalty fee to; 

Require they secure alternative or additional funding; 

Deny their access to any resources (access to classes, libraries, or other institutional facilities) available to other students who have satisfied their tuition and fee bills to the institution.

However, to qualify for this provision, such students may be required to:

Produce the VA’s Certificate of Eligibility by the first day of class; 

Provide written request to be certified; 

Provide additional information needed to properly certify the enrollment as described in other institutional policies (see our VA School Certifying Official for all requirements). 

1GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website.